The Asheville Masonic Temple
80 Broadway, Downtown Asheville, NC
Saturday, July 13th. Doors open and judging begins at 11:30am.
Hot dogs available to the public until they sell out!
1 hot dog = $3 | 6 hot dogs = $15
Pay on the Day of the Event
1 hot dog = $5
This is a fun competition, and a parrrtayyy to celebrate hot dogs, punk rock music, each other, and Asheville!
IT’S A BENEFIT!
We are raising money for, and awareness of, the non-profit, historic theater restoration project including the preservation of the hand-painted backdrops at the Asheville Masonic Temple.
100% of the money raised from the sale of pie to the public will be donated directly toward the restoration and preservation of the theater. You can read more about the theatre here.
In order to compete at the 2019 Asheville Punk Rock Hot Dogs competition, chefs were instructed to…
• Select a punk band, no matter how obscure, from any era of punk.
• Design a hot dog inspired by that punk band. (toppings only, as dogs, and buns by Geraldine’s Bakery, will be provided by the organizers)
• Show up to the event at 11:00 with all their toppings, ready to assemble their dogs, and serve their creations to the public.
• CHEF JAMIE WADE – Sand Hill Kitchen, hot dog inspired by the band X.
• CHEF JAY MEDFORD – The Underground Cafe w/ Dough Doughnuts, hot dog inspired by the band The Shitdogs.
• CHEF WITT PINKERTON – Tasty Beverage Company, hot dog inspired by the band Bad Religion.
• ZACK NEEL – aka Zack of All Trades (formerly Disco Burger), hot dog inspired by the band Butthole Surfers.
• CHEF JAMES ANDREW WRIGHT – The Pickled Beet Catering Company, Mtn City, TN, hot dog inspired by the band Blink 182.
A panel of three judges will try each dog, and rate them all using a scale of 1 – 10, on the following factors…
• HOW FUCKING PUNK THEY ARE
The hot dog with the highest combined score will be declared the Punk Rock Hot Dogs champ, and will receive accolades, high honors, respect, street cred, and a graphic suitable for printing and framing.
• The public will purchase tickets with which to buy hot dogs. (see pricing above)
• They will be able to vote for their favorite dog on paper ballots, which will be tallied when the dogs run out.
• The winner of the popular vote will be announced along with the judges choice.
Thanks for supporting these fun competitions and fundraisers, Everyone, I’ll see you there!
This event is co-produced by
Stu Helm: Food Fan & Shay Brown Events
If you would like to arrange a tour of the theater and learn more about the backdrops, please contact Shay Brown Events at: email@example.com
— end —
Stu Helm is an artist, writer, and podcaster living in Asheville, NC, and a frequent diner at local restaurants, cafes, food trucks, and the like. His tastes run from hot dogs and mac ‘n’ cheese, to haute cuisine, and his opinions are based on a lifetime of eating out. He began writing about food strictly to amuse his friends on Facebook.